FORMER JUDGES OF THE HIGH COURT OF BOMBAY FROM GOA
J U S T I C E
DR. GUSTAVO FILIPE COUTO
Name: Gustavo Filipe Couto
Date of Birth: 16th March, 1928
Place of Birth: Margao – Salcete – Goa
Civil Status: Married to Mrs. Maria Telma da Costa Couto
Issues: Two sons and a daughter
Education: Degree of Licenciate in Law by the Faculty of Law of the
Classical University of Lisben – Portugal Bar-at-Law
Joined the Portuguese Overseas Judiciary
on 12th August,1954 as a Magistrate with the duties of Government Advocate cum Public Prosecutor
(Delegade de Procurador da Republica) and served in that capacity at Angola
in the Judicial Divisions (Comarcas) of Novo Redondo and Luanda.
(Juiz de Direito) from 5.2.1959, having served at the Divisions of Congo (Angola) and Quepem
Additional Advocate General of Goa (Ajudante do Procurador da
Republica) and Acting Advocate General of Goa (Procurador da
Republica) from 16.12.1960.
(Juiz de Direito) and Civil Judge, Sr. Division and Judicial Magistrate First Class, Bardez
(Mapusa), Panaji, Margao and Bicholim.
Additional District and Sessions Judge in 1977 District and Sessions Judge of
Goa, Daman and Diu in 1980.
Judicial Commissioner of
Goa, Daman and Diu in 1981 Judge, Bombay High Court in 1982, Retired on 15.3.1990
Other posts held:
Member of the Advisory Board, N.S.A.
Member of the Motor Vehicles Tribunal
Member of the Executive Council of the Goa University
Chairman of the Goa, Daman and Diu state Transport Authority
Chairman of the Selection Committee for the post of Chairman of the Goa State Electricity Regulatory Commission
Chairman of the Goa public Men`s Corruption (Investigations and Inquiries) Commission.
GURUDAS DATTA KAMAT
Shri Gurudas Datta Kamat, who is appointed as a Judge of the Bombay High Court at the Goa Bench of the High Court, was born on 5th January, 1935. He graduated in Arts in the year 1957 with History as the principal subject and obtained his degree in Law in the year 1960. He was enrolled as an Advocate on 10th August, 1962. For a brief period he practiced at Bombay and later on shifted to Goa where he had been practising since 1964. He acted as a Special Public Prosecutor for the Goa Government from the year 1967 to 1969. Since 1980 he had been advocate for Customs and Central Excise Departments of Government of India. Appointed as Judge of High Court of Judicature at Bombay on 29th November, 1983 and further appointed as Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court w.e.f 1-07-1996. Retired on 5-01-1997.
He is actively involved in social and cultural activities in Goa and was associated with the People’s Educational Trust which runs educational institutions in
Goa. He was a Member of the Senate of the Bombay University for two years from 1980 to 1982 and was also a Member of the Faculty of Law of the Senate.
EURICO SANTANA DA SILVA
· Born on 10.5.1933 at
· Degree in Law and Post Graduation in Historical and Juridical Sciences by the Faculty of Law, University of
· Diploma in Forensic Medicine by the Faculty of Medicine, University of
· Diploma in Dactiloscopy and Prisional Law by the Faculty of Law, University of
· Course of Criminology in the Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, in 1979.
· First appointed Judge as 'Julgado Municipal Especial' of Ponda on 6.12.1957.
· Promoted as Civil Judge, Senior Division and Judicial Magistrate First Class on 20.4.1964.
· Appointed as Chief Judicial Magistrate, Goa, Daman and Diu, on 18.4.1974.
· Appointed as Additional Sessions Judge, Goa, Daman and Diu, on 11.10.1974.
· Appointed as Additional District and Sessions Judge, Goa, Daman and
Diu, on 14.1.1980.
· Appointed as District and Sessions Judge, South Goa, Margao, on 4.2.1981.
· Transferred as District and Sessions Judge, North Goa, Panaji on 2.12.1988.
· Elevated to the Bench of the Bombay High Court as Additional Judge on 30.7.1990 and posted as Permanent Judge at the Panaji Bench of the same High Court.
· Appointed as Puisne Judge of the Bombay High Court on 25.9.1991.
· Retired from the Bench of the Bombay High Court on 10.5.1995, after more than 38 years of judicial service.
· Appointed as Authority nominated under section 9(3) of the Conservation of Foreign Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities Act, 1974
(COFEPOSA), on 6.6.1975.
· Chairman of the State Transport Authority of Goa, Daman and Diu.
· Presiding Officer, Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, Margao, from 10.7.1975 till 1.12.1988.
· Presiding Officer, Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, Panaji, from 2.12.1988 till 29.7.1990.
· Special Judge, Goa, Daman and Diu, under The Prevention of Corruption Act, from 20.11.1981 till 29.7.1990.
· Member of the University Court of the Goa University as a Nominee of the Governor of
· Member of the Standing Advisory Committee on Students Affairs of the University of Goa from 21.9.1998.
· Chairman of the Permanent Lok Adalat, South Goa District, under the Goa State Legal Services Authority.
· President of the Goa State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (State Commission), from 25.5.1999 till 9.5.2000.
· Appointed as One Man Commission of Inquiry to probe the irregularities committed by Mr. B.S.
Subbanna, Mr. G.G. Kambli and Mr. P.V. Kadnekar, while functioning as Custodians of Evacuee Property on 9.5.2000.
· Member of the Indian Society of Human Rights, Nagpur.
· Invited to attend the VII Congress of the International Association of Judges at Macau in October 1989.
· Invited to attend as Guest Lecturer the International Seminar of Law organized by the University of Sao Francisco, at Sao Paulo, Brazil, and address on the topic of 'Indian Law and the juridical traditions of the Legal System prevailing in the former Portuguese possessions of
Goa, Daman and Diu' in October 1997.
R. K. Batta
Justice Ranjeet Kumar Batta, B.A.(Hons.), LL.M. : Was born on September 3, 1941. He was enrolled as Advocate on September 15, 1966. He practised for three years in District Court and Subordinate Courts in Delhi in Civil and Criminal matters. He was appointed as Civil Judge in Goa on August 25, 1969. He was promoted as Additional Sessions Judge on April 20, 1982 and as District Judge on July 24, 1986. He became District and Sessions Judge on August 17, 1990. He was appointed as an Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court on December 5, 1995 and permanent Judge on January 7, 1997. Retired on September 3, 2003.
Justice R.M.S. Khandeparkar, B.A., LL.B. : Born on 15-08-1946. Enrolled as an advocate on 30th July 1973. Was Member of the Goa High Court Bar Association since its inception and subsequently General Secretary of the Managing Committee of the said Association. Was also a Member of All Goa Advocate Association and of the North Goa Advocate Association. Was Central Government Standing Counsel in Goa since December 1990 and Sp. Public Prosecutor for Central Excise, Customs, FERA etc., in Goa since 1984. Was also Advocate of Goa University since its establishment in 1985 as well as Advocate for Goa Housing Board from 1992 till he was elevated to the Bench. Appointed Judge of the Bombay High Court on 12th April 1996.
F. I. Rebello
Born on 31-07-1949. Passed LL.B. from Government Law College. Enrolled as an Advocate on 30-07-1973. Practised in the Judicial Commissioner's Court, Panaji from 1973 to 1982 and then at the Panaji Bench of the Bombay High Court from 1982, in Service, Consitutional, Local Self Government matters. Worked as a part-time lecturer in Law at Salgoncar Law College from 1975 to 1977. Was President of the Goa High Court Bar Association from 1994 to 1996. Designated as Senior Advocate in December 1995. Appointed as an Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court for a period of 2 years w.e.f. 15-04-1996. Permanent Judge from April,1998.
Justice N.A. Britto , B.A., LL.B. : Born on 8th January, 1949. He passed B.A. (with Economics and Political Science) from Chowgule College, Margao, in 1969. He stood 1st in Constitutional Law in 1st Year LL.B. in Poona University in 1970 and bagged Dr. Abhyankar Constitutional Law Prize. In 3rd Year LL.B. he stood 1st in Criminology in Bombay University in 1972. He joined Bar on 14-7-1972. He stood 1st in the written and oral examinations held by Government for the post of A.P.P. He joined as A.P.P. from 3-8-1973 and since then worked as A.P.P., P.P., Government Pleader till joining Judicial Service. From 7-1-1982 he worked as Civil Judge, J. D. & J. M. F. C. and in August , 1986 he was promoted as C.J.S.D. He stood first in oral interviews held for the post of Addl. District Judges in December, 1993 and was appointed as Addl. District and Asst. Sessions Judge on 3-3-1994. He was appointed P resident of Administrative Tribunal from 5-6-1995 to 30-8-1997 and was appointed District and Sessions Judge on 1-9-1997 which post he held till his appointment as Judge of the High Court.
AVINASH PUNDALIK LAVANDE
Born on 20th August 1951. He passed B.Sc. in First Class in
the year 1972 from Dhempo College, Miramar, Panaji. He took
LL.B Degree in the year 1975 from R. L. Law College, Belgaum
and stood First Class First and obtained two Gold Medals.
He practiced on Civil, Criminal and Constitutional matters
in J. C. Court, Panaji and thereafter in the High Court of
Bombay at Panaji. He was appointed Public Prosecutor and Government
Advocate for about 5 years in the High Court of Bombay at